Sunday, May 6, 2012

Are You Up for the Challenge?

I'm the worst blogger ever. I rarely keep up with my posts. I'll even think to myself often that I should write about something in my blog, but I usually forget by the time I have a moment to do so. Oh well.
I'm starting my blog back up because I will be blogging at the end of the month about the Flats and Handwashing Challenge put on by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For an entire week, hundreds of parents will participate in this challenge by cloth diapering their baby only in flats or upcycled materials that are one layer with various covers. Now here's the kicker, you cannot use your washing machine or dryer! You must hand wash and air dry your materials for the entire week. It can be done! Some people will be doing what probably pops up into your mind, using your hands to wash in the sink or the bath tub, but many people will be using hand-powered washing devices such as a camp washer (which is basically a bucket with a plunger), a wonder wash machine, or even a wash board.
Strangely enough, I am very excited about this challenge! I keep falling in and out of love with my flats and I'm glad to have a reason to fall back in love with them. I mean really, what's not to love? They're cheap, absorbent, all natural, wash easily, dry quickly, take up little space, versatile, one size fits all, etc. I'm not sure why I keep using my "convenience" diapers over them.
I will be making a camp style washer and if I don't get around to it then I'll just wash in the bath tub, no big deal. We will be using some Diaper Rite flats and OsoCozy flats with a wide variety of covers that include wool, RagaBabe, Green Line, GroVia, and fleece. I have some snappi's to fasten with along with diaper pins but I doubt we'll use the pins, I may order some boingo's to try out. Also, here is my Pinterest Board about cloth diapers that has some useful links that would help with the challenge.
We will also be going out of town during this challenge with family so that makes this a little more challenging lol. But we will figure it out. Never give up! Never surrender!
Just some background, MissE is a heavy wetter and still nurses frequently through the night. She will be 11 1/2 months old at the time of the challenge (my, how time flies!). She's one of those "alligator death roll" type babies during diaper changes.
I will likely update this post with some pictures soon.
I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment