Saturday, May 26, 2012

Flats & Handwash Challenge: Day 6 - Traveling with Flats & Hand Washing


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  


Today is Day 6 of the Flats and Handwash Challenge. Today I'd like to talk about traveling with flats and hand washing. We traveled for the Memorial Day weekend to a cabin with my in-laws and drove for 6 1/2 hours to get there. (The drive itself is about 5 hours, but we made a couple of stops for the baby). Sprinkled throughout this post are pictures from today on our trip.




While finishing our packing on Friday morning, we let MissE run around naked for a while and then in a coverless flat. We started the drive with a large flat in an Airplane Fold with a smaller one padfolded inside, then graduated to using two padfolded flats inside the cover for the rest of the changes of the drive. When we arrived, she used one flat in an Airplane fold fastened with Boingo's for the rest of the changes of the day under wool bloomers.
This morning I had a bit more diaper laundry to do than what I've had the rest of this week because we doubled up on several changes. Mister set up a clothesline between two trees for me and I went to work scrubbing away while he went for a morning run with his sister.


I was rinsing when they returned, my mother in law had breakfast ready, my father in law and brother in law had very strong coffee brewed over the campfire, and my niece and nephew were running around with MissE watching. I hung everything on the clothesline and we all enjoyed breakfast as the flats flapped around in the wind. The good thing about it being so windy is that the wind beat my flats into submission and they came off the line so soft instead of stiff!
My parents in law watched MissE while Mister and I went into town for a while to check out the I left them with some flats padfolded inside Velcro-closure covers and there were no issues or confusion about how to put them on.
All in all, traveling with flats and hand washing once a day is very easy and will be my go-to travel solution from now on.
Today's topic was an open discussion. To see what other bloggers talked about today, click on any link below!

No comments:

Post a Comment